To Shave or Not to Shave

Before anyone gets excited or grossed out, let me be clear that this is NOT a posting about me. :p

I haven't been updating much on Ayisha's development lately or how much she's grown. But first i'd like to share our concern of her NON-growing hair!

I would like to think that her hair's grown much longer than before but when i looked back at older pics, there really wasn't much difference. Some even looked as if she's got more hair than she does now!

This was taken just after her 1st birthday, about 7 months ago:


At 16 months:


At 18 months:


Not that much difference yeah?


Every once in a while, i'll comb her hair this way to see how long it is:


The above was taken when she was only about 10 months. This one below was taken about 10 days ago! Michael doesn't like this look. It reminded him of Donald Trump.



The only ponytail i could get out of her. I longed to get her those cute colorful clips and ribbons - lil joys that come from having a girl. :p



This is the latest one, but it doesn't look as thick as the ones before! What to do mummy?



We can always accessorize with other things! Btw, she had them all on by herself. (Vogue abis le konon2..ahaks!)



I brush her hair regularly now as I was hoping it would help make it grow longer & thicker - something that I used to do myself & believed during those high school years!

Michael mentioned the other day whether or not we should shave her hair now. The last time we talked about this was a while ago when I brought the matter up as we're discussing newborn stuff to-dos etc. But at the time he wasn't that keen so I didn't really push it. Now i think he's feeling differently especially after a lot of people around us, especially those with bushy, thick, long haired kids, were telling us they all had their kids' hair shaved as a baby.

I don't really wanna shave her hair now cos she's almost 2 and she has friends :p A lot of people also said that it'd grow eventually but the question that's been bugging Michael remains - 'What if it doesn't'??

Other than that, Ayisha's been growing indeed in other areas:-

- She's been saying 'No' a lot. And not in the cute 'naw, naw, naw' shaking her finger kinda way anymore but the angry "Noh!", "Noh!" with wrinkling eyebrows and everything.

- She takes off her own clothes and tries hard to put them on. When putting pants on, she always has both feet in the same hole. But she thinks she's done and proudly smile & give a lil clap for herself.

- She might be ready for potty training. A few times she said 'poo, poo' before actually doing them. The other day, she didn't wanna put her nappy on. A minute later, she said 'poo,poo', so we rushed to the toilet & looked at each other while waiting...but nothing happened. So we put her pants back on and 5 seconds later, it was all wet. So, whenever she's ready. Maybe im the one who's not! :p

- She's saying more words and sometimes says both in Malay and in English to emphasise or make me move faster ie. 'gi (lagi)' and 'More' alternately. She's not making sentences yet tho. The only 2 word sentence she said was 'baby minum' - drink for her dolly.

- She takes Dolly everywhere and does everything with her. Sometimes she takes Lucy (another doll) too. I feel like i have 3 lil ones now cos i hafta dress Dolly & lucy everytime i dress her and give b'fast, lunch, dinner to them too. When it comes to feeding time, she'll have her feed first then she'll put Dolly's lil bottle in her top and tries to feed her. :p (i was a bit nervous that she'd shoved her dollies to me!)


- she's super super busy!

- she's crying more and more now when she doesn't get her way. But no tears. Trying to feed her doesn't work anymore -i've lost my super power & control. :(

Till her next good/bad hair day!

Comments

Along said…
Maybe you can try rubbing olive oil on her head. Like u said, she's nearly 2 so shaving her head would be a big deal, especially since she's going to school.

I have the opposite problem with my kids' hair. Tebal sangat!! Sometimes I take them for a haircut and 2 weeks later, it's like the haircut never happened. Grrr...
SunnyLovesRain said…
Salam Yan,
there is no need to shave, thru experience, i agree with along~ rub some olive oil every morning and evening after bath. my son used to be 'butak' when baby, now he has to have a hair cut regularly sbb panas!!!...well apart of being a boy lah kan...:P
finahasmoni said…
Trim sikit la as what i did to izzah and izzat dulu. It would help give sign to the hair that they need to be replaced since it has been cut.
Unknown said…
mmg perasan gak, when we shave their heads (my two boys), the hair will grow thicker. maybe betul gak la..
TomL said…
Michael looks OK when he shaves his, maybe you should all shave your heads so Ayisha wont be the odd one out.

Lots of love.
Poppy
TomL said…
don't worry about it , give a little trim if you want to even it out a bit but I wouldn't worry , Michael lost his hair , what he had of it about 4 times untill about 2yrs old then it grew,Amy was also quite bald untill 3 yrs, I think it's because your not both Malay ,xxxxx Grandma
Anonymous said…
Yes, try olive oil. if not rub aloe vera gel on her head/scalp. it's better if you use the fresh ones rather than buying the gel. good luck. she's growing up so fast now, hair or no hair. :)

-roza-
I had the same problem when I was a child but after my nana used 'minyak lenga' on me wham bam! I could be mistaken for an orang utan hehehehe.

I don't know what minyak lenga is but the indian use it all the time to promote hair growth...

or you just just wait and see.I'm sure the hair is there somewhere :)
Zai Zulkifli said…
Yan,

my children had the same problem since they are mix parentage, same as Aisya. But since they have straight hair so it's not as obvious as hers, but each strand is really thin (dry unlike typical oily Asian hair). I can still see Hana's scalp (she's almost 4) even though her hair in so long.I only shaved her when shes was 2 months old. I put plenty of hair oil, but it doesn't show any result yet.

Sara (8, never shave) and Ian (6, shaved as a baby) used to have the same problem, but their hair thicken as they grow older, and now it look normal albeit not as thick as other kids' hair.

My 2 older kins didn't shave and 2 youngest kids were shaved when they were babies. The only difference is that, after the shaving, the new hair grew in lighter color (compared to the hair when they were born). So I have 2 black hair kids n 2 light brown hair kids.

As for Aisya...since she's 2, I think u can still shave her hair. At least it's a try. It will grow fast. Don't worry about friends, i think when she has new hair, they will forget about it. If that doesn't work, you cal always try the olive oil.
Yan said…
Thanks so much guys for the suggestions! I might try the trimming & the oil rubbing..thanks! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Week

Introducing Our Lil'Un - 1 Week Old

Presenting...