Big Momma's Tantrums

It happened few days ago at Lotte Mart, a wholesale supermarket where i normally go for my groceries. I was planning to shop whilst Ayisha was at playgroup that morning but I ended up staying with her at school the whole time.

I still haven't managed to leave her at school without her (or me) crying. She's still very clingy. We've also been on & off school cos of our travels and then the school holidays. So we keep having to start over everytime. It's getting harder now cos there's lots of new kids coming in with the new term, which means more crying lil children in her class and lesser attention from the teachers. So up till now, she's still not 100% happy when Im not around.

Anyways, after school we always go straight home cos Ayisha would be super tired and ready for nap time. But that day I thought i could probably squeeze in Lotte Mart quickly because it's so close to her school and our fridge was all empty. I thought I could do quick stop, get only the main things out of my list and out of there asap.

I should've known better.

Ayisha was fine at first but as soon as we got inside, she was being very difficult. She was whinging, all clingy and so uncooperative. She wasn't listening to anything that I said and was determined to get her way. I was getting extremely impatient & frustrated and that was when it happened.

I grabbed her and left Lotte Mart and screamed at her all the way to the car. She of course, screamed back and protested by refusing to get in her car seat so i forced her, yelled again and slammed the door. I've never been this angry and annoyed at her before. She was crying and crying and i felt like my head's gonna explode.

I wrote a quick angry sms to Michael, took a deep breath to try ignore her and started to drive.

Ayisha fell asleep in less than a minute.

When there's no more noise, the guilt came washing all over me. When i turned over to glance at her sleeping peacefully and innocently, i felt my stomach churning from the thought of what might've happened if i had totally lost it.

Went passed McDonald's, convinced myself that I needed some comfort and made a u-turn. Went to the drive-thru and got a cheeseburger meal with nuggets & a chocolate sundae. I felt better almost immediately. Then felt sick again at how a nugget can make me all better just like that, after being so mad at my own flesh & blood.

At this point Michael was frantically trying to call and getting me to meet him at work.

I thought i was ok after almost finishing the nuggets & fries, but the moment i saw Michael and we talked, I was a wreck. I was in between sobs (and sundae) trying to tell him how i felt.
I realized how so very tired I am from taking care of Ayisha all the time. I can't remember the last time i had me-time just to do nothing.

Then there's the guilt talk. Feeling bad for complaining and being ungrateful. I felt like Ayisha is really not a difficult child to take care of. She seldom cries or throws tantrums. All she wants is having me around all the time. Then there's the realization of how one day, she might not even want me around anymore and I'd regret not wanting her to be clingy.

I was mad one moment, apologizing another, I couldn't even understand what I was saying to Michael anymore. He apparently did cos what he did next was just beyond unexpected and blew my mind away.

He drove us to a Beauty Spa where I could have a 3 hour session of body massage, scrub & milk bath and a hair cream bath spa that includes an hour of head, shoulder & hand massage.

I was so surprised and extremely touched i was bawling the moment i saw the entrance to the Spa. I was still sobbing staring on the floor when i was down on the massage table with my head in the hole.

By the time i submerged myself into the warm bath, i felt like a heavy weight have been lifted off my shoulders. I was so totally relaxed and felt amazingly calm.

All through the hair cream bath spa, i was smiling and couldn't help feeling so warm and tingly inside. Getting your hair & head massaged is one of the best feelings ever. I even had my head under the round steamer thingy for the first time in my life (always wondered what it felt like, it's pretty cool!) whilst given the shoulder & hand massage.

This hair spa is something that I've always wanted to try in Bali. Besides being really cheap, it's supposed to help with hair loss problem (chronic hair fall after giving birth) among other things. I thought i would've had a pampering session at least once a month but I just never had time by myself and gotten around to do it.

I came out of the Spa feeling like a brand new person and according to Michael, looking like a different person altogether - all smiles and not so crazy lady anymore lah.

Michael then took us to Lotte Mart and took care of Ayisha while i shop for all the things on my list and more. He then took us to my favorite restaurant in Sanur - Flapjak Pancakes & Stadium cafe, for a lovely dinner.

The next day, I got my period.

To both of you, thank you for putting up with me and loving me unconditionally.

Comments

Muna Zaen said…
all smile while reading this...
that's the kind of partner we wish for in life..
Alhamdulillah...
Anonymous said…
Every women suffer PMS, including U. Ha..ha..ha. (evil laugh)Lucky U, had understanding hubby, some are not.

Don't you feel guilty the day after you had your period?

Alhamdulillah. Please cook nice dinner for them.

Azian
and here i thot only Dila gets to act crazy just before that time of the time. heheh

mike did a good job tho! :)
F.Idrus said…
Aawwwhhh!

U are so stressed! Since I don't have kids, I don't understand the feelings but what i can advice is, maybe you should make friends with any expats wives around, if you haven't already? Take a time off once a while and go hang out? Here mommies always have a time out apparently haha.

Maybe make friends with few mothers, go outings with the kids? I don't know, stress is a bad thing, it will not only affect u, but also your loved ones!

Take care!!
Yan said…
Dreamer: am very grateful, yes...thanks ;)

Azian: haha...sgt2lah guilty nya!! :p

Ateen: hehehehehe..yeah, good excuse indeedo!

Faiez: thanks my dear! yezza ur absolutely rite! it's always lotsa fun when we mommies catch up, but we haven't been doing it as often as we'd like tho..
NORA ANSHAR said…
hie yan,

don't know if you remember me. it's noresh from sunway college (under TM scholarship).

nway, i know exactly how u feel. i've been down that road before and trust me, it isn't easy.

having a me time really helps especially to keep your sanity in place. that's why, i always make it a point to go out with my closest girlfriends just to refresh myself. it does wonders to me. i come back a happy person and all momzilla chucked out through the window.

your husband is so sweet to understand that.
Yan said…
K.Noresh: Of course i remember you! :) thanks for empathising, appreciate it....heheh love your term momzilla! indeed!! :p
Along said…
Yan, it happens to the best of us. I feel extra guilty when I get mad with my girls because I work full time and then have night classes. Jumpa dah la kejap2, lepas tu lagi nak marah2. So I really try to keep my cool.

But being a SAHM, 24/7 with your kid...of course it will take a toll on you. Everyone needs a break, be it from work or even loved ones. Luckily you have such an understanding hubby..:D.

Anyway, I think u and Michael are doing such a great job with Ayisha. May Allah bless all of you.
Yan said…
K.Along: Thanks for such a lovely comment!! :))
Vicki said…
No fair!! Making me cry & laugh all in the same blog! I soooooooo understand where you're coming from. Looking after the child is bloody tiring. Physically & mentally exhausting. Big ticks to my bro ( but one offs don't cut it) you'll need regular you time. Hope you have a great time away. Jealous.
OMG Yan!!...i feel you!..and khalif is already four and he is still that clingy boy who drives me crazy and love me unconditionally at the same time...what can i say...

p/s: i send not just angry sms...but MMS gambo sekali..hahaha..
Yan said…
Syer: hahaha lawaks! thanks beb, u make me feel so much better!! :p

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Week

Introducing Our Lil'Un - 1 Week Old

Presenting...